Faculty and advising resources
How to have a good advising appointment
BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Find your enrollment date, based on credit hours earned.
- Make an advising appointment early in the semester.
- Review your degree requirements sheet.
- Utilize major and career exploration tools from OSU Career Services or MyMajors if needed.
- Log in to your MyOKSTATE portal and look at available course sections. In addition, review your registration holds under the “Student Records” section. Registration holds must be cleared before you will be able to enroll.
- Think FINISH IN FOUR. Plan on taking 15 hours per semester and/or averaging 30 hours per year.
- Create or review your four-year academic plan.
DURING YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Review major and minor options with your advisor.
- Talk about your four-year academic plan.
- Discuss ways to enhance your experience at OSU. Find out about Study Abroad programs that would work well with your major, scholarships that you can apply for and getting more out of your degree by graduating with honors or distinction.
- Ask about any course overrides or special permissions. Your advisor should be able to direct you on how to obtain these.
AFTER YOUR APPOINTMENT
- Deliver any necessary paperwork to the Office of the Registrar, 324 Student Union.
- Keep all the documents from your advising appointment.
- Plan out possible schedules based on your conversation with your advisor about courses.
- Enroll in courses on MyOKSTATE on or after your enrollment date.
- Print or screenshot your detailed schedule.
- If you need to change your schedule, consult with with your academic advisor first. In addition, refer to the academic calendar for important drop, add and withdraw deadlines.
Connect with industry and research leaders